Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Opinions Please: 1937 S/42

Default Opinions Please: 1937 S/42

I've always considered this to be a Russian Capture Luger because I think it was dip blued. Maybe I'm wrong as it's completely matching except for the mag.

Please look at the pictures and tell me what you think.

Lugers; A Century & Counting!

I think you are probably right. The obliterated acceptance proof on the breech block is the clue for me...

Also there may be an "X" on the right side of the forward axle that connects the breech block to the rest of the toggle train.

Is the "S" link in the recoil linkage blued? If so that is more evidence of a refinish.
    Igitur si vis pacem, para bellum -
    - if you wish for peace, prepare for war.

Thank you mrerick. I'll have to look to see if the connecting pin has an "X" but the S-link has certainly been blued as seen in the picture below.

I probably overpaid ($850) when I bought it some years ago but most RC Lugers I've seen are not all matching. This one is 100% matching except the magazine. The only other questionable parts are the grip panels and they're unmarked so no way to tell as far as I know.

Lugers; A Century & Counting!

I think that the price today is about on par. Look for the X on the right side of the forward axle pin.

All matching Mauser made Lugers are outstanding shooters. I also have a 1937 shooter (it has finish issues on one side).
    Igitur si vis pacem, para bellum -
    - if you wish for peace, prepare for war.

I am going to go out on a limb here but, based on the letter suffix (z), I would guess that this example is a salt blued pistol. The Germans changed from rust blue to salt blue around the t and u letter suffixes made towards the end of 1937.

Bill

I agree with Bill. It is my opinion, that the weapon shown is a correct second variation of a 1937 Luger. The second variation has a salt blue finish,and straw bluing was eliminated.

Tom

As much as it pains me.. I too agree with Bill. No evidence of a re blue or a dip. Russian dip blue often looks almost parkerised. This pistol is very clean.
    Jerry Burney
    11491 S. Guadalupe Dr.
    Yuma AZ 85367
    [email protected]

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
    719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."

That blued connecting link is enough evidence for me, just because this gun's finish was originally salt-blue, does not mean that it has not been re-blued. I cast my vote with mrerick.
    Norm

If this is a refinished pistol, its one of the nicer ones I have seen.

Quote Originally Posted by lugerholsterrepair View Post
    As much as it pains me.. I too agree with Bill. No evidence of a re blue or a dip. Russian dip blue often looks almost parkerised. This pistol is very clean.
    You don't know what pain is...but you'll find out Saturday!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast