Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: VARIATIONS OF 41 AND 42 byf CODE LUGERS

Jan, with REAL variations, one can tell when they were normal factory changes. With grips, it's relatively easy to remove a set of wooden grips and slap on a set of bakelite grips. Thus a man made change, not a factory change. There is absolutely no proof on any late byf 41 or any byf 42 the bakelite grips were on the pistol when it left the factory.

Frank
    I highly value your opinion on these black grips!

I agree that changes marked in steel (dates, proofs, acceptance stamps, barrel gauge) are more positive and definite. Grip types may or may not be post World War II. Wood grips frequently bear the Lugers serial number or acceptance stamp.

I also agree that "There is absolutely no proof on any late byf 41 or any byf 42 the bakelite grips were on the pistol when it left the factory." However, bakelite grips occur more frequently on byf 41 and 42 Lugers in certain serial ranges. Also, these black gripped byf 41 and 42 Lugers were around in some numbers when I started collecting some 40 years ago. These black gripped byf 41 and 42 Lugers are clearly not all man made changes. In my opinion, they are a legitimate although a less definitive/sure variation.
    Jan
    Opinions of collectors are most welcome. Would like to hear from Dave.
    BLACK GRIPS DATA REQUEST https://luger.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=8859
    Jan C Still
    Site Owner - Operator

Jan, I have a proclivity to look for an excuse to collect something different. The first byf 42 has E/135 accepted and numbered walnut grips but unnumbered aluminum bottom fxo mags. Not sure that qualifies as a variation or as a variant! Nonetheless, It seemed necessary to have the byf 42 variation (or affectation) with bakelite grips and mag bases also.
    Last edited by abzug; 01-20-2012 at 02:29 PM. Reason: added photo
    abzug

Adrian
    I have the same inclination as you. (There is however, a limit that I can afford.)
    Jan
    Jan C Still
    Site Owner - Operator

Jan:
    My 41 byf has a serial number 2064s which does not fall within the serial number ranges you mentioned. According to the markings shown in "Luger Variations", by Harvey E. Jones, my Luger appears to be the 1934 variation. Could I be wrong?

Ed Fraher

EFraher
    Mentioned in first post above. "byf 41 markings variations: SE655 SE655 LTP reported serial range 4636o-4627ns (estimated production 120,300)" Includes the "s" range.

Your, 41 byf serial number 2064s falls in that range.
    Jan
    Jan C Still
    Site Owner - Operator

Jan... Just a bit late with a reply on the grips. IMO Frank is correct in that there is no way to tell for sure that the bakelite grips were on the gun when it left the factory. The same could be said for wood grips that only have an acceptance stamp but no number. 1936 S/42 guns nomally are not stamped or numbered as well.

Something about accepting based on experience and reported data..........
    dave

MY byf 41 Serial No. 9217 ns has E/135, E/135, LTP.
    Last edited by hyrax222; 08-15-2011 at 02:16 PM.

My byf 41, no.9217 ns, E/135, E/135,LTP
    Last edited by hyrax222; 08-15-2011 at 02:16 PM.

Jan... Members have contributed quite a few serial numbers since I last visited this thread and was thinking about the discussion with Frank about black grips being a variation.

It appears that black grips have been reported in most of the letter blocks and many are Types 4, 5 and 6. I think that tells me there was a supply of black grips that probably spans other variations that you listed and their use was more random and perhaps just a result of what was on hand at any given time....
    dave

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast