Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: VARIATIONS OF 41 AND 42 byf CODE LUGERS

Jan... Observed 42 BYF 5896k which had coarse brown HK grips. The story is that it is a documented vet bring back and has been in the possession of only the vet until his death and then the gentleman who showed it to me. I could not get the rear toggle pin out and I could not remove the L/H grip. The man who brought it in said he had never tried to take it apart and I think I believe him and the story. The condition of the pistol was very close to 98% and IMO not messed with. So how does a late war pistol end up with coarse brown HK grips ???? I told the man that my opinion was that they were just using up whatever parts they had left and somehow a pair of earlier grips were in the grip bin and they simply used what they had..... I would appreciate thoughts and comments....
    dave

Dave
    "I told the man that my opinion was that they were just using up whatever parts they had left and somehow a pair of earlier grips were in the grip bin and they simply used what they had..... I would appreciate thoughts and comments...."

I agree with your statement. This is the only byf 42 that I know of reported with a brown HK grips.
    Jan
    Jan C Still
    Site Owner - Operator

Jan... Thanks for your comment. It is also the first one that I have seen. I think sometimes it is OK to believe the story if the pistol fits. I am considering including it in the Black Grip study but not sure it belongs. I would welcome your opinion.
    dave

Dave
    Would suggest expanding your study to include brown plastic HK type grips. These are almost all found on 1940 dated Lugers.
    Jan
    Jan C Still
    Site Owner - Operator

I have aquired a 41/42 variation Luger with the serial numbers 1066 on all parts and two clips and with the cursive letter "O" on the bottom of the magazine. These serial numbers aren't mentioned anywhere. I have attached the photos and would love to know about it. Can anyone help?

Linda... Welcome to the Forum. The pictures in your profile show a very nice pistol that is not easy to find. The holster I believe is either from a P-38 or perhaps a Hi Power. Check the back for a P-38 stamping on the top R/H side. There will probably be some stamps between the stamps that will provide the maker and acceptance stamps along with a date.

Pictures of the bottom of the mags would help. Your serial number in the "o" block is correct for this variation.

It is very hard to come across pistols with two original matching mags........
    dave

First time poster long time lurker. I recently acquired a 97% byf 41 Luger with black bakelite grips. It is all matching and is in the a block. It came with 2 mags, one a black bottom and the other an aluminum bottom. The black bottom magazine has the same serial number as the pistol and the number 2 on it. The other magazine has the usual markings and the WaA 37 on the aluminum bottom. I always wanted a Luger and when I saw this one, I had to snap it up. Any idea what month the 6000 a block byf 41 Luger would have been produced? Thanks

USCS03, My best guess would be December, 1941. Hope this helps a little.

Here are some pics I took awhile ago of the 41 byf that Dave looked at yesterday. The acceptance stamps don't appear to match up with the ranges shown on page 1. Also, Dave said it's from the Z block.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bad weather today so I'm in the safe!! I have a byf 42 with black grips ser# 650i all matching E135 proofs, 2 FXO E37 black bottom mags, came home in a black P.08 holster marked gjh WaA 668 42. Her's my question the tool is marked E655. Could the tool been a carry over from the byf 41 production. Thanks Henri

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast