Thread: 1937 S/42 with two magazines

Default 1937 S/42 with two magazines

Hi all, one of my best friends has found a little treasure but he has some doubt about the finish. The P08 is a Mauser from 1937, all matching number, incluided two magazines and a holster too. I think is original but I ask you about your expert opinion. Surely knowing your opinion my friend will stay quiet.

Regards,
    Enrique

Attachment 95201Attachment 95202Attachment 95203Attachment 95204Attachment 95205Attachment 95206Attachment 95207Attachment 95208Attachment 95209Attachment 95210Attachment 95211Attachment 95212Attachment 95213Attachment 95214Attachment 95215Attachment 95216Attachment 95217Attachment 95218Attachment 95219

Enrique... My opinion based on the pictures is that it is a excellent example of a 1937 S/42 pistol. It is so very hard to find one with two original matching mags not to mention a very nice Luftwaffe holster. You do not often see such a nice "rig".
    dave

Enrique, what is the suffix of the gun? Take a picture of the underside of the frame, below the barrel. That is where the suffix is located. Some early 1937 S/42s had straw parts, then they transitioned to all blue. what is the marking on the tool? It looks to be a very nice matching rig.

Dave

My only comment to your best friend is : Congratulations on an excellent find that would find a place of honor in any collection.

It truly is a jewel.

Out of curiousity; why does your friend think the finish is questionable??

John

Hi all; John, the pistol is too good to be true!!!...that is the opinion of my friend. I see the P08 ok. We think came from an officer from Legion Condor during spanish civil war.

Dave the suffix looks the "w". I will ask about any marking on the tool.

regards,
    Enrique

Beautiful Rig; 1937 "w" suffix luger with two matching magazines and a 1937 brown Otto Reichel Lederwarenfabrik Holster with tool. Tell your friend that he has a collector's treasure.
    abzug

Enrique,

Of course he has the advantage of having the pistol in front of him in hand. We do not.

But... occasionally a collector comes across a pistol used by a staff person. Has rarely been fired but has been cleaned and lubricated and has only holster and handling wear. But not combat experience.

This describes your friend's pistol. It seems to be worn in all the right places. There are bruises where they should be.

Just tell him to be happy and enjoy his treasure. The fact that you suspect it comes from a person in Legion Condor only confirms my points.

Also, remember, Mauser switched from Rust Bluing to Salt Bluing during 1937. This example is Salt Blued, a slightly stronger, less delicate finish. Additionally, no processes were performed after bluing. Thus the integrity of the finish is better preserved. If you friend perhaps has had more experience with Rust Blued guns, he may find the piece "too good to be true".

John

I glossed right over the pictures of "w" suffix on the mags....a very sweet rig indeed!

"Rust Bluing to Salt Bluing during 1937. This example is Salt Blued, a slightly stronger, less delicate finish"

I consider the rust blue to be much more durable than salt blue. That is why top quality shotguns use it on their barrels.

Since rust blue is about 10 times more difficult and time consuming to apply, that is why the German Military switched over to quick and easy dip salt blue.

I agree with the others Enrique, a beautiful original rig. But please, if you would, tell us about the cool wooden 'Patronen' ammo crate that the luger is resting on. Was that a bring back with the pistol as well?