Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

The Mauser Parabellum

35K views 88 replies 42 participants last post by  Mac Cat 
#1 ·
...by Don Hallock and Joop van de Kant.

The first decade of the 21st Century has proved to be a banner period for the publication of truly definitive books on the Luger pistol: Jan Still's Central Powers Pistols, Ed Tinker & Graham Johnson's Simson Lugers, and Don Maus's History Writ In Steel are already available; Still's revised Third Reich Lugers, books on Police Lugers and Postwar Lugers, and the magnum opus augmented English edition of Die Pistole 08 will hit the stands this year.

I just received a copy of the Hallock & van de Kant The Mauser Parabellum, and have paged through the entire volume at least three times. This is not a proper review, as the book is far too massive to absorb in just a few days, but it should serve to whet everyone's appetite.

The Mauser Parabellum is 700 pages, packed to the margins with background, detail descriptions, color photos, charts, identification guides, and databases. It includes all known variations and contracts between 1930 and Mauser's postwar demise in 1946. Most prominently, it includes production information and commentary from August Weiss's personal memoirs, unavailable to the Luger collecting community until now.

There's not too much more to say at this point--the book should appear on this side of the pond soon--except that this book joins the Must Have volumes in the center of the Luger literature shelf.

--Dwight

See less See more
#53 ·
Deluxe copy #10 reporting to keep the sequence going. It is, as the others have said, a superb book with a wealth of new material that is beautifully organized and presented. (Thank you Dwight Gruber) A hearty well done to all involved. Get it before this new classic sells out!

#60 ·
Well, I've spent the day reading my copy of The Mauser Parabellum.

This book represents decades of study, and extraordinarily productive and supportive friendships in the Luger collecting community.

It's quite complete, well organized, lavishly illustrated and contains thorough explanations of what has been observed. The classification system makes sense, and is easy to reference.

Thank you Don and Joop (and everyone else that worked on this project)!

Marc

#61 ·
Gents,

Thank you all for your kind words!
Don is not home for the moment, he will be back early next week. The last books will be brought to the Post Office by Dave Lindsay next Monday morning.

I will be out from tomorrow until Tuesday 17 of August - three weeks in the woodlands with my family - it is also a 'welcome back' party for me after the long period that I have neglected my wife and kinds.

Here in Europe, the first copies of our book have been around for almost six weeks now. All that time we have been waiting for comments of collectors who reported the errors that we must have made...

Until now, apart from some typos and cosmetic impurities two significant errors have been found:

Chapter 11 - page 125 - Table 11.01: the header of the third column: Number G-Dates, should be exchanged with the header of the fourth column: Number 1936-S/42.

Chapter 22 - pages 404, 406 and 408: After 'Rear Connection pin Marking' (fourth line under header B. Properties visible after disassembling the pistol) please read: Two last digits of serial number.

My sincere apologies for these (my) errors. In the near future we intend to create a website, dedicated to our book, where we can publish any errors.

#65 ·
Joop, Thanks for a great book, enjoy your well deserved time off with your family.I did spot an error though, the picture of August Weiss`s grave was taken by me in 1990,not by James in 2002. A minor error indeed.I can`t wait to get into the book. I ordered a coffee table book and ended up getting a coffee table! Some enterprising member should invent a lap holder for the book! I`m too lazy to work out, and too weak to hold it up for the hours I want to spend reading it! Doug

#68 ·
Hi,

Because of limited grave yard space over here, the burials are performed in ways that assure decomposition of the body and casket as quickly as possible. So after 25 years (which is the normal period) there is not much left, but perhaps some small bone fragments. These are usually just left, or reburied at a special area of the grave yard, known as the bone pit.

So technically speaking, August is still resting at the Oberndorf cemetery, but is probably sharing his grave with a newcomer.

#75 ·
Mauser Book

I want to compliment and congratulate Don and Joop for adding this reference book to the Luger collecting community. The "bar" has been raised for quality, presentation and depth of information as detailed in this book.

I am enjoying the journey of reading this reference.

I also want to mention that I truely appeciate the time and effort exhibited by Joop, Don and all the contributing collectors/researchers who have added so much to this volume.

I'm sure this will only be the beginning!

Bravo!!!

Best Regards,

Doug Wirt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.