Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

Schwarzlose 1908 research

19K views 38 replies 18 participants last post by  Deathroll 
#1 ·
Gentlemen,

I need your help because I am working on a documentation about the Schwarzlose M 1908 pistol. I need some input on observed serialnumbers and its proofs. Pics are very appreciated.

Every answer will help.

Thank you very much

Fritz

Attachments

See less See more
#29 ·
1956 “Gun Digest” article by A., Baron Engelhardt
“The Story of European Proof Marks” mentions on p. 127:
11.43 mm bore diameter was 51.05 bore and
7.62 mm bore diameter was 172.28 bore.

From this info, GONRA assumes a barrel stamped 181 is one of these goofy “gauges”
(here “181 bore”) used in the German Proof House Business when the Schwarzloses were manufactured.
Remember, the Schwarzlose actual bore diameter may be less than 7.65 mm nominal cartridge designation.
(Never checked, but some claim Schwarzloses hava somewhat tapered bore.)

At this point, am really getting in over my head.

Am constantly amazed (and green with envy) at the Original Source Data and info many Gunboard members
have or dig up from visiting original archives or procuring photocopies of original documents.
WOW!!!.
Rest of us have to rely on Secondary Sources.

Anything mentioned in my Schwarzlose comments should be reviewed by an “Original Source” guy.
My interest in all this is trying to figgerout what the story is on my “UNMARKED Schwarzlose 1908”.

#30 ·

Attachments

#32 ·
Thanks for the article, I will print it out and include it with my gun so maybe my kids, will know what it is when I pass on. Its such a interesting piece of history. The two German proof marks appear to be almost random through the serial numbers? There certainly is not one point in time when the switch occurred?

#36 ·
My gun don't have serial number .Well, after spend few days on internet , I find very good article https://unblinkingeye.com/Guns/SLZ/slz.html according Ed Buffaloe and Ed Dittus few first variations of this guns indeed don't have any external serial number, and a few with no external markings of any kind. Very interesting!, I guess I have one of this gun! Cool!

P.S. speaking about 181 , Early barrel/slides are stamped on the inside of the left extension with the number 181, which is a gauge measurement of the diameter of the barrel.

Database here https://unblinkingeye.com/Guns/SLZDB/slzdb.html

Attachments

#37 ·
Hello Everybody,
My name is Marcelo and I’m writing from Chile.
About a year ago I’ve inherited this little handgun. IMO the gun is in good conditions. I have some modern handguns and that’s why my grandpa considered that I was the one to inherit his old handgun. The rest of my relatives are anti guns so, nobody else was interested in the Schwarzlose.
I was doing some research and here in my country are just six registered Schwarzloses.
I would like to share with you some pictures that was taken about a week ago with my cellphone.
Regards from Chile

#38 ·
MAHF,
Hello and welcome to the forum! Your Schwarzlose is in amazing condition! Any background on how your grandpa came to posses it? I am surprised there is so many in Chile. What are the gun laws like there? Please do tell us more. Once again, welcome!

#39 ·
Well, I finally got around to having my Schwarzlose 1908 inspected and it seems the sear bar is broken and a piece of it is missing. I have called around and there are a few places that can fabricate that part but I need the measurements. A pic of the complete sear bar would be great too. Could anyone help me out with that? Thanks in advance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.