Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

About Glisenti M1910

17K views 40 replies 20 participants last post by  old dutch 
#1 · (Edited)
I saw that someone complains about the lack of historical facts about the Glisenti Mod.1910, I know somethimgs and, if you like it, I want to tell them there.
The designer was Bethel Abiel Revelli, a former artillery officer. The technical drawings of the gun was sold to the Company of Brescia "Glisenti". In 1907 the Glisenti sold the project to the "Metallurgica Bresciana Tempini", that was the only manufacturer of the Mod. 1910. The "Metallurgica Bresciana" was equipped with excellent machinery purchased by Ludwig Loewe of Berlin and Mr. Tempini was in contact with Paul Mauser and Georg Luger. For this reason, perhaps,the first model of the automatic pistol Glisenti was manufactured in caliber 7,65 with a bottle-shaped cartridge case identical to the 7.65 Parabellum (30 Luger), but with less powder charge. This cartridge was insufficient to military uses and the pistol, in fact, was refused in 1909 to an official announcement for a semiautomatic pistol.
The caliber was changed in 9 mm. This last round was identical in shape to the cartridge 9 Parabellum caliber, but, again, with less powder charge.
This calibre was accepted by Military and the weapon was adopted in the Italian Army in 1910 as “Pistola Automatica Modello 1910”.
The total production of 1910 model was around 32,000 pieces. The entire supply was handed the Italian Army before World War I and the gun was the "baptism of fire" during the war of Libya, between the Kingdom of Italy and the Ottoman Empire, began September 28, 1911 and ending October 18, 1912.
The lots of guns were 2,000 units each, always preceded by a letter. The letters go from “A” to “R”, without “J” e “K”, missing letters in the alphabet Italian.
On the right side of the gun, above, is stamped the serial number of the weapon and, in a circle, C/Fab1910. “Fab” means “Fabbrica d’Armi di Brescia” (Weapons Factory – Brescia) and 1910 indicates the year of adoption of the weapon. Interestingly is the fact that on the first 5000 pistols, from A1 to C1000, circa, there is, in a circle “C/Fab 1909", rather “C/Fab1910”; this means an acquisition before the official adoption. This gun was very well manufactured. The magazine is a masterpiece of efficiency. If you seek its cartridges is very pleasant to shoot, very accurate and safe use.
The materials used are excellent (less than the grips, which is ebonite), the workmanship is impeccable as for the Lugers.
Pay attention, if you remove the firing pin, the sear is screwed with the thread counter-clockwise.
Cari Amici, cordialissimi saluti
Giuliano
P.S. the second to last photo shows a cartridge cal 9 Glisenti dismantled and the last shows two packages of cartridges, cal 9 Glisenti always, distributed to the troops during I WW.
Giuliano

Attachments

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
Dear Douglas, obrigado pelo elogio!
But I'm not a professor, I like only communicate what I know in the field that we are passionate. I hope to be helpful in describing this old lady.
Yes, the Model 1910 is a weapon not appreciated by us in Italy also. Everything comes from the fact that people want to use the more powerful 9 Parabellum rather than the cartrige Glisenti cal 9.
Dear Douglas, um abraço para você também !!
Giuliano

#4 ·
Giuliano
Excellent presentation! I have owned two Glisentis in my life, and I regret not being able to keep them (I needed trading material for Lugers!:)). They are well made and interesting guns. However, I never could find one that still had the "tool" under the left grip.

#6 ·
Dear Dave, thank you for your kind words.
Dear Ron, it is possible that I have a tool. If you want, I can send it you as a gift.
I'll tell you that it is a gift why another German member of Furum wrote to me to find out handbooks on Italian revolver Model 1874 and 1889. I answered that I knew nothing and that I could send a brochure on these revolvers, obviously as a gift.
The man replied me no more ..... I have been very bad about it !!
Guys, excuse me for having vented.
Cordialissimi saluti a tutti
Giuliano

#7 ·
A consideration for Douglas: the Modello 1910 has been little appreciated for two main reasons: the very high cost and the low power of the cartridge caliber 9 Glisenti.
The first reason has motif to be: the Modello 1910 was actually very expensive.
The second absolutely not. In fact, this gun was replaced during I I World War by the pistols Beretta, Mod. 15, caliber 7.65 mm Browning and 9 Glisenti. The first cartrige was much less potent than the 9 Glisenti, which was also chambered for the Beretta.
Other criticisms are completely unjustified.
Cordialissimi saluti
Giuliano

#8 ·
Great information. I see you have the correct lanyard for the Glisenti M1910, it is only the second one I have ever seen. Are they common in Italy? I have a second Gllisenti M1910 and a Brixia that need one. The holsters are also uncommon. Thank you for sharing this information, these are very interesting and well made pistols.
Dean

#10 ·
Giuliano,
Great pictures and presentation. Thank you for sharing, it is important when collecting firearms or anything. The forum gives us that opportunity. Again thanks and God bless. art.
Giuliano,
I just remembered what I was going to ask. Is the Glisenti and Brixia (my spelling may be wrong) magazines interchangeable? art

#11 ·
Giuliano:
Great information about M1910 Glisenti pistols!
Especially helpful are production numbers, which seem to be very low.
I always thought that these came in 10000 /letter blocks.
Now, that I know that they were made in 2000/letter blocks, they seem to be much rarer pistols then I had anticipated.
By the way, where can one find a grip for one of these?
(my left grip is cracked and I need a new one)
Thanks!
Val

#13 · (Edited)
Dear Art, the magazines are not interchangeable. The magazine holder on the Mod 1910 is a button, in the Brixia is a leaf spring attached on the back of the magazine.

Dear Val, this gun is always considered a "Cinderella", but it is not. Unfortunately I can not help you with the grip.

Dear Ron, I think that on the Forum we are all Friends !
Cordialissimi saluti a tutti
Giuliano

#17 · (Edited)
Dear Jason, I hope you bring the Glisenti. I saw the pistol. It seems to me in very good conditions. The left grip is intact and that is rare on a Glisenti.
I think that Lugers, P.38 and other pistols are .... very common and widespread. If you search one of this, you find it. The Glisenti in a very good conditions as is this, is difficult to find.
Dear Jason, let me know.
Cordialissimi saluti
Giuliano

#20 ·
Hi Giuliano and thanks for this great information.
I recently got a pretty nice Glisenti N1425, and was wondering:
1) how do you recognise the original bakelite grips - mine seem to be plastic replacements, though I am not 100% sure;
2) If there is some possibility to find either an original takedown tool or a reproduction, mine being missing.
rgds,
Andrei

#22 ·
Giuliano,

Thank you for the presentation, I also enjoyed reading it. I have a Glisenti Model 1910 which I am restoring. The quality is like a fine watch, but I have some broken parts to deal with, such as the safety. If you don't mind, I have a few questions:

The special tool: Unless you have another extra tool, I was wondering if you could provide measurements of an original so that I can make one. Thickness of metal, length, how wide the head and shank are, etc...

The grips: I have seen pictures of the M1910 pistol with wood grips. Were the wooden grips original issue or a late Italian military replacement?

Grazie!

Greg

#25 · (Edited)
The special tool: Unless you have another extra tool, I was wondering if you could provide measurements of an original so that I can make one. Thickness of metal, length, how wide the head and shank are, etc...
The grips: I have seen pictures of the M1910 pistol with wood grips. Were the wooden grips original issue or a late Italian military replacement?
Grazie! Greg
Dear Greg, if you wait, I can get you the new tool. Next Monday a friend of mine lets me know something. If I not found, I will send to you the dimensional drawings
The safety is easy to repair. If you see in the ring, there should be a small relief. This relief is one that blocks the firing pin (spring guide). The relief is is inserted in the ring and you can slip off the remind. Looks good inside the ring!!!
The wood grips are a miltary replacement. In fact, the original ones, especially the left, were very fragile, as was done in ebonite.
Cordiali saluti
Giuliano

#27 ·
Dear Andrei, the grips seems to me original. They should have branded the s.n. on the inside. Now (7.30 p.m.) I'm going to work. This evening I unmount my "Model 1910" and see my grips and I do you know for sure.
Saluti cordialissimi
Giuliano

#28 ·
Dear Andrei, having seen my grip, certainly original, I must correct my rating:
your grips are a reproduction. This morning, I was suspicious because of the lack of the s.n. and imperfect fusion. This evening I have dismantelled mine and my suspicions were confirmed.
Dear Andrei, I send the photos of my left grip.
Cordialissimi saluti
Giuliano

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.