Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Ku DATA REQUEST

I could be all wet, but all of the serial number markings on the plastic/bakelite based magazines that I have seen so far appear pantographed to me. Dave, you asked me if a heated element could be used in a pantograph to make the markings. I kind of doubt it. I would think that a heated element would create a raised edge to the characters since melted material would be displaced rather than removing it with a cutter. Just my two cents and probably worth a lot less than that.
    If it is made after 1918...it is a reproduction.

FWIW Dr Sturgess writes that the numbers on the bases of Kü magazines are "machine engraved". Regards, Norm

Ron/Norm... Thanks for your comments. I think there are some better examples over on the BLACK MAG study. At this point in the studies my thoughts are that there were both.
    dave

Ron... Tried to take some closer shots of the mags that I have that I feel very comfortable with at this point in time. I think the first 4 are heat stamped and the last pantographed.
    dave

Hi Dave, I don't claim to have any expertise in this area, but I would expect the bottom of a heat stamped number to be black and shiny, like the rest of the base. I guess the only way to test your theory is by prodding one of these bases with a hot soldering iron. Any volunteers? Best regards, Norm
    P.S. Whatever the outcome, I greatly admire your determination to solve this mystery.

Quote Originally Posted by norme View Post
    I greatly admire your determination to solve this mystery.
    Ditto! I hate to be a poop, but they still look pantographed to me. Perhaps if I saw them in person I could be convinced otherwise.
    If it is made after 1918...it is a reproduction.

Norm/Ron... Thanks for the kind words. Ron.... how about I bring them to the SOS and you can look them over at AAH....
    dave

I have always been under the impression that bakelite type material is relatively heat resistent unless subjected to very substantial amounts of heat. I would also think that the heat stamping would produce edges.

1768 KU,BYF 41,S/42-W/154,Wood 1768,Unmarked plastic base FXO mag
    Peter

Peter.... Thanks...... list updated
    dave

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast