Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1940 42 code luger grip variations, walnut, brown plastic, and black bakelite

Jan... Acquired 1940 42 code 2108n and it has Type 1 black bakelite grips and came from a WW2 vet that served in North Africa which is where he acquired the pistol. It came with it's original "+" matching 122 code alum bottom mag. Fits nicely with other reported pistols.
    dave

Jan... 1040 42 code 5103m with Type I HK grips from above reference. I have also added to the Black Grip Study.
    dave

Dave, did you see my topic?
    1940 code 42 serial 3434m is present...with same grips...

Yes I did and it has been added to the Black Grip study... thanks
    dave

1940 code 42 9785 I SE 655 x 2 proofed along with bore gauge 8.82
    wood grips both marked 95 along with SE655 proof
    "Always improve your position"
    "When it's over I want to hit the ground like a spent shell"

Jan, many years ago I received a luger from my great uncle after he passed away. May I send you photos to help ID the pistol? It is in very good to excellent condition with holster and two magazines. It has been in my safe for a number of years and I take it out from time to time to clean and investigate. 1939 with 42 and all matching serial numbers, the serial number is 1805.

DSCN7075.jpgDSCN7074.jpgDSCN7073.jpgDSCN7072.jpgDSCN7071.jpgDSCN7070.jpgDSCN7069.jpgDSCN7068.jpgDSCN7067.jpgDSCN7064.jpgDSCN7063.jpgDSCN7062.jpgDSCN7076.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jan C Still View Post
    Figure 7. Underside grips, left to right, serial number 3369h walnut, 74i brown plastic, and 2237m black bakelite.
    Figure 8a. Details 1940 42 code, serial number 3368h, underside wood grips.
    Figure 8b. Details 1940 42 code, serial number 74i, underside brown plastic grips.
    Figure 8c. Details 1940 42 code, serial number 2237m, underside black bakelite grips. There is a small half moon imperfection located on the inside of the right grip along the magazine recess. This is also present on the brown plastic grip above indicating both came from the same mold (Molchen).
    Figure 9. Right side: 1940 dated 42 code Lugers showing grip variations. Top to bottom serial number 3368h walnut grips, serial number 74i brown plastic grips and serial number 2237m black bakelite grips.

Attachment 69304Attachment 69307Attachment 69306Attachment 69305Attachment 69308

I think I may have some black grips that are like these found on some 1940 42 code Lugers. They are black, but have the same patterns as the brown plastic HK grips and the Type One bakelite grips in Molchen's study. The only difference being the top hole on the left grip has a plastic center that protrudes slightly as to mate with the right grip. The right grip has this also on the bottom hole. The bottom hole and the top hole on the left and right grip, respectively have the typial threads for a Type One bakelite.

Mine have the same small half moon imperfection located on the inside of the right grip along the magazine recess. Molchen's study showed that this half moon imperfection is also present on the brown plastic HK grips, therefore indicating both came from the same mold.

I first thought I had repos because the pin test did leave a slight mark. However the half moon imperfection is present and according to Molchens study indicates the same mold was used for my grips as the original brown HK grips and type one bakelite.

What is throwing me off is the pin mark from the pin test did make a small mark/hole. Perhaps I heated it up too long? One other possible explanation: could my grips be brown HK grips that were painted. I notice the grips in direct light look shiny, almost like there is a black paint or shellac on them.

Another, could these be original HK black plastic grips? Did HK make even make black plastic grips? And was the HK material regular plastic that would fail a pin test, or also bakelite? Some folks use plastic and bakelite interchangeably, so I want to make sure that there were indeed original proper plastic brown and black grips that were not made of bakelite material. Or are all original plastic grips bakelite? Also, someone told me that 1944 HK's had black plastic grips, but were they regular plastic or bakelite? The other explanation is my original, i.e., that they are repos. But would a repo have the same imperfection mark in the mold as the originals?

Below are some photos of my grips (first 2) and the photo from the forum (3rd photo). The mold imperfections along the mag recess are circled. Also note on the first photo at the right side I circled another mark that I have seen present on original black bakelite grips.
    Attached Images Attached Images

More photos of my grips in question.

Here are some more photos you can see the "half moon" imperfection in the first close-up photo. The third photo show the pin test mark and the screw hole that looks typical for Type One bakelite. The 2nd photo shows the atypical screw hole that seems half filled to mate with the other grip.

All other patterns like "keepers" are like Type One bakelite and HK brown grips, along with the same mold imperfections.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast