Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

Navy Cleaning Rods

14K views 29 replies 14 participants last post by  von.ravik 
#1 ·
There has been some concern recently with the fake Navy rods being offered on Ebay, GB and at gun shows. These rods originate from CMR in England, sell for $85.00 + shipping, and are correctly marketed as reproductions. By the time they appear here in the US, they are sold as originals for $200.00 or more. Since genuine examples sell for several times that amount, this should be your first red flag. Your second red flag should be the artificial looking patina on the brass shaft. Flag #3 are the dimensions of the handle. Genuine rods, both Navy and Artillery, conform very closely to the dimensions specified in the original drawings, 17.0mm wide at the middle, 13.5mm at the ends, and 40.00mm long. The repros are 1.0mm wider at their ends and 1.5mm longer overall. When compared side by side with an original, they look distinctly less barrel shaped. The most obvious "tell" however, is the shape of the butt end of the shaft, the repros are much more convex than the originals. You can easily feel the difference with your fingers, a useful thing to know at a poorly lit gun show!
The first three photos are of genuine rods from my collection, the brass rod is early, the steel ones date from the war years. Photo #4 is a scan of the original drawing, showing the handle dimensions, and the last three show one of the repro CMR rods alongside a brass original. Take particular note of the butt ends of the shafts.
Regards, Norm

See less See more
#28 ·
Thanks everyone for the answers. However, I would really appreciate if you can share your opinion on the rod itself rather than the source it is coming from. IMHO, it is a bit unfair. A few points on the source though. I got both rods for free as I was lucky to find them and a few other accessories (K98 sling, P38 holster modified for a TT, STG magazine, Lahti rod, etc) in a box at a military warehouse that stores some items brought to the USSR from Germany after the war. I did not pay for them, so I really doubt someone would put a fake in that box on purpose. It is basically impossible to bring or take something from a military warehouse without a pile of accompanying documents. Hence, I would say my source is pretty reliable and trustworthy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.