Thread: byf 41 x block

Default byf 41 x block

I got this byf 41 today and I've got a couple of questions. The grips are not numbered, should they be? Should it have a numbered magazine being such a late 1941 manufactured P08? Has it been reblued due to the lack of white paint in the word Gesischert?

Besides the grips and the magazine it's all matching.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The finish looks all original to me.
    Norm

No numbered magazines in the "x" block in 1941. (Police Lugers would be an exception).
    Tom

I agree with Norm on finish. I find it hard to make a definitive call on finish from photos, so I'd also suggest you check the s-link coupling and trigger transfer lever, those should be un-blued.

Re: white paint in the Gesichert marking, it was actually wax originally. I personally do not view the presence or not of pigment there as a reliable indicator of finish originality.

On '41 pistols sometimes grips were numbered and sometimes they were not. I'd check the grip inside surface carefully for acceptance marks (stick wing eagle 655 would be appropriate for a 1941).

Per "The Mauser Parabellum 1930-1946" by Hallock and van de Kant (p242), nearly all magazines for '41 P 08s from the w-block onward would have either an unnumbered pinned aluminum base or an unnumbered black plastic base.

It looks original to me too. It's possible that the paint/wax was removed through overzealous cleaning - or even that it didn't get filled in.

Is the pin in the side plate blued? Inside number stamped in the side plate related to the first digits of the sn? (likely "27")?

Wear looks consistent. Too bad about the left grip chip (it can be repaired).

Marc
    Igitur si vis pacem, para bellum -
    - if you wish for peace, prepare for war.

Thank you for your help guys. Both the s-link and the pin inside the side plate is in the white so I guess the P08 is untouched. The grips have a tiny WaA655 on either side. I took a look in my P08 magazine box and found an unnumbered magazine marked fxo, 2 x WaA37 and P.08, is this a appropriate type of magazine for the pistol?

A black bakelite based unnumbered "fxo" WaA37 inspected magazine would be considered matching for this handgun.

An aluminum based "fxo" would WaA37 would be appropriate to the period.
    Igitur si vis pacem, para bellum -
    - if you wish for peace, prepare for war.