Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

FN 1899 & FN 1900 Browning

56K views 136 replies 38 participants last post by  leicanthrope 
#1 · (Edited)
FN 1899 & FN 1900 Browning DATA REQEST

Hard to find early production FN1899 an FN1900 add to my collection.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
1899 is definitely very rare in the U.S. Not sure the situation in Europe. I bet it's rare there as well. If I remembered right, only 1 instance was for public sale on gunsamerica.com in recently years.

Earlier this year, RIAC sold a Russian contract FN 1900 nickel pistol in VG shape. That one is also rare.

#7 ·
Both are Model 1899 pistols. Can you email me the serial numbers? I keep data on all surviving Model 1899 pistols. There have been a surprising amount of Model 1899 pistols changing hands this past year. I noted four which is far more than what I usually see in a year.
Thanks
Anthony

#8 ·
I sold a model 1900 with the stock, both mags and cleaning rod (all matching numbers, if I remember correctly only one mag was numbered but the rod and long mag were numbered). One scratch otherwise 98%+. Sold it to a guy from Illinois who was at the little Michigan farm town gun show.

Kind of miss the rig but it paid for part of my wedding back in 2001, still married so making some correct decisions.
(I kept the KU luger that came with the Browning, still one of my prized possesions. Both came back with the same vet, he died and the family sold them. In retrospect I would have asked for more of the vets details to help with the KU story)

Jim

#13 · (Edited)
You must not be familiar with my books as the pistol, No. 21, has been featured in each book.
Anthony

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Anthony, I report for you about my ' A4075 " after publication your first book and I so you add this number in second book, but my new additions "6329" not in your data base. I hope it help.
BRGS
Alexey
Hello Alexey and Roberto,
Thank you for sharing your serial numbers. I will add them to the databases.
Thanks again
Anthony

#17 ·
Thanks, many folks that I have dealt with over the years are on here, but I can not recognize their user name...

The avatar is FN's 1930 poster by MILO MARTINET for the M.86 Sport Motorcycle. Sadly enough when the factory sent out the posters to their dealers, they decided to fold them. Only folded ones appear to exist. Collecting period FN posters is another time consuming and expensive venture!

#15 ·
Hi Anthony, No, I am afraid I do not own any of your books, but yes, I am very familiar with your excellent work. I have been concentrating on my collection of flare pistols for many years now, and have cut down considerably on my book purchases. I have not owned more than a handful of FN's in at least 20 years.

#18 ·
Some classic items appeared in a few publications. Another example is C96 #743, its color pictures are printed 2009 "Astra Firearms", that's the latest. The same gun was printed on 1985 Erickson & Pate book, but serial number recorded wrong. Yet the same gun was presented on 1974 "Gun Collector's Digest" by Joe S. Initially, I was surprised, "how many of these survived?", but after looking at detail, "oh...different pictures, same gun" :)[/QUOTE]

Yes indeed, I have been keeping a databases (now 7000+) serial numbers of specialty FN pistols over a period of 15+ years. Some just keep cycling from one owner to another, just when I think I spotted another survivor, I find out that it just changed hands. The interesting ones are those that are recorded and than appear again with added/altered WaA or other markings.

Reactions: Hannibal
#22 · (Edited)
Hi Sam,

All FN cases are rare! I do not recall seeing one with the FN factory markings on the green satin, the few I have seen are either blank or have the dealer's name.
Verynice!
Anthony

#28 ·
Hi Anthony,

Had FN mod.1899 serialnr. 5491 in my possession couple of years ago.
Pistol was re blued but still in good condition.
Hope it helps for the database.

Do you keep a database on all FN pistols?
I have quite a lot
Congratulations on your excellent book, helps a lot for us Belgian collectors.

Regards,
Yes, I have a databases of all interesting FN pistols (rare contracts, engraved pistols, rare variants and also the model 1899.) I have more than 7000 pistols in the databases now, and I do keep up with all the Model 1899 survivors.

Thanks
Anthony

- - - Updated - - -

For your database, Anthony. I once had SN 5140.
(Sorry Ed, pictures are too large to be posted on site)

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Deutschland , I this you have a good idea, lets start count..........
Anthony could you set QVESTENARY LIST for 1899 and 1900 Browning's as you most knowledgeable in this area.
I will be glad to do this when i am recovered from my accident. I am still struggling with walking. More soon.

#27 ·
Got to look at what I think is a M1899 today. SN 9589. Nickel finish with trigger and safety lever with traces of blue. No marking for the safety. Way above my paygrade here. Need the short course as I believe it will be for sale. If it was a luger I would rate it around 90 to 95% with most wear to the bottom of the front grip.

#31 ·
Scott, that has been refinished. You can tell by several ways, the trigger and screws (and something else I'm sure) should be blued. Plus I believe that this type of nickel is improper for a factory finish.