Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

Beholla , Menta research help

15K views 30 replies 19 participants last post by  BRING_GUNS 
#1 ·
Gentlemen,

I need your help.

It is an opinion that Becker & Holländer ( Beholla ) and August Menz ( Menta ) "outsourced" the production of gunparts.

I found the following letters and stampings inside the frames:

Beholla # 24827 C.S.2 and intertwined AW (WA) or AM ( MA) , # 39047 intertwined AW (WA) or AM ( MA)

Menta # 7838 E.R. and on the mag ER, # 11225 M ( Menz ?? ) or W.

In my opinion are this manufacturer abbreviations. Perhaps I am wrong .

Please be so kind and take off the left gripp of your Beholla / Menta and post here what you can see. Pics are appreciated.

Thank you

Fritz

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
My Menta

It is great to see someone else interested in these little pistols> My unit marked Menta is described in a 2011 post:

http://luger.gunboards.com/showthre...ED-to-164th-infantry-regiment&highlight=menta

It is serial number is 4938 and it too is stamped E.R. Unfortunately, my magazine is a modern replacement. If you would like more information or photos of my Menta don't hesitate to ask. I look forward to seeing the results of your research.

#3 ·
My Menta number 7810 is stamped ER exactly the same as Frink's. It does not have a contemporary magazine either. My Beholla number 48394 is stamped 3 where yours is stamped CS. I have also just noticed that the trigger and trigger bar are stamped 349 rather than the concluding three digits of the serial number.

Mike

#6 ·
Fritz,
I took a look at my Beholla, #35199, imperial proofed with Prussian eagle on trigger guard. The only marking is the intertwined "AW(WA)". There may be another stamp under it such as an "R" or an "I" but it is illegible because of heavy machine marks. The magazine has the same marking as yours. Sorry I can't help more.
Tim H.

#7 ·
Sorry that it took me so long to reply, but here's my small contribution to the subject-
Here is my Beholla, number 29507. It has the intertwined MA/AM, but the other mark
is a large letter L. Just speculation, but perhaps Leonhardt is a possibility...?

Rich

Attachments

#8 ·
And here is part two of my presentation. This is my Menta, number 10713. It is a bit the worse in condition after a century's worth of wear and tear, but is still all original. It has a star over W,
plus a large letter P. I have no guesses for that subcontractor possibility. Anyone else?

Rich

Attachments

#10 ·
I have a Becker & Hollander Beholla almost identical to 29507 belonging to rt darc, with imperial acceptance mark next to Crown N and Prussian eagle on front of trigger guard. The only difference being that the walnut grips have nicely bordered checkering. Mine is 21574 and has "Leidenbach" roll marked below "Selbslade-Pistole" with letters in "Leidenbach" about twice as large as the marking above it. Sorry, no photos. Any idea who or what "Leidenbach" was?

#16 ·
Hello,
got Beholla , Leonhard , Menta and Stenda , i think eccept the Beholla that they are coming out the same factory.
The Becker and Holländer seems to be the oldest one.
Beholla No:19676 with Military Acceptance Cr/W and prussian eagle on Trigger housing
Menta No: 8707 Cr/N having no hole in slide for the pin !
Leonhardt No:24957 CR/N
Stenda No. 69234 Cr/N

Karlheinz

Attachments

#19 · (Edited)
Beholla, serial #1785, matching magazine, numbered extra mag. holster long gone, Crown G, no marks on frame. Date of 7-17-18 carved on top of right grip(second battle of the Marne was 7-15 until 8-06) American solider's name carved on inside of right grip(F.J. Youch)

Attachments

#26 ·
I just took my two recently purchased Behollas to the range. One has an Imperial acceptance markwith the Prussian eagle on the front of the trigger guard.The other carries no martial acceptance marks. As soon as I photograph them I will remove grip panels and take photos of the information you seek.
I have read several articles on these little pistols which include comments like "mediocre" or "indifferent". Both of mine performed without issue; recoil was negligible; grip angle lent itself to natural pointing and the sights- while inadequate by modern standards- are better than the sights found on other pistols of the same period. I like them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.