Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Did I get hosed on this 1938 s/42 for $1850?

Default Did I get hosed on this 1938 s/42 for $1850?

I recently picked up this 1938 s/42 at a gun show in Green Bay and was wondering if I could get some input. Itís all matching except for the mag and the toggle pin is unmarked (and has a small chip that is hidden while installed)which I found out later is supposed to be according to what Iíve found while checking on the internet. One grip panel is marked with 26 and an X and Z, the other is only marked T and J as far as I can see.
    The blue is in relatively good condition,bore is very nice,but Iím a little unsure what the ďgradeĒ would be considered. I guess I would put it at about an 80-85%? It has a bit of plum color on the grip straps and top in the right light which I probably didnít capture in the pics. No pitting under the grips , just rough milling. There is edge wear on the high points as well, not import marked, seems tight ,and functions well as far as I can tell. Iím far from an expert, so thatís why Iím here to tap all of your expertise as well as experience. I havenít been on Gunboards for several years and used to go by the username ShawnP but was unable to access my old account due to changed email and forgetting my password, so now Iím back as a new member and this is my first post.
    Thank you in advance for any input that you can provide

Hi Shawn,
    Welcome back! While not the Louisiana purchase, I don't think you got too bad a deal. The finish looks original as do the grips, one unnumbered grip is not unheard of. As to the toggle pin, the odds against you finding a replacement stamped 26 are not impossibly long.
    Regards, Norm

Welcome back,
    but we can't answer your "hosed" question without knowing the magic $$ number!
    03man - Don Voigt
    Luger student and collector
    Looking for DWM mil.side plates- 69 and commercial # 32, Dreyse "K.S.Gendarmerie"

While not the Louisiana Purchase.....is probably the best euphemism I’ve ever heard regarding a question like this one. I’m going to put that one in the vault for future use if you don’t mind. I kind of figured I was a little quick to purchase it without really having a real knowledge of grading and exactly what to look for ,and.......because I’m terrible at self control.
    Thank you for the response Norm, I greatly appreciate it.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -
    To 03man:
    It was $1850

Here is another way to look at it.

While you spent a little more than I would have, you have a 1938 S/42 and I don't.

That’s a good point.

You did fine, too high for me, but I collect Weimar - I will see if I can combine your two memberships

If I screw anything up, email me

Ed

I think this is a very nice looking 1938 dated Mauser and also feel the price is just about right. Gun looks real good to me.

You definitely did not get hosed. Maybe overpaid by a couple hundred but not bad at all.

Nice example. Did you want it? Now you got it! As long as you are still able to 'house and feed the family', all good.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast