Thread: Luger P08 byf 41 and first post...

Default Luger P08 byf 41 and first post...

Been looking on the sight and finally made the plunge,

Honor to be here, lots of amazing information. Just picked up this byf 41, sn 4254 "p"(???) E/655, E/655. Nothing incredible but nice. I've seen so many here.

I will get the other data another time but it may be in the pics I will post. Trying to assist in the realm of collecting by posting this information as the thread states.

What has "stumped" thus far is the suffix letter. I want to say it's a "p", but I cannot tell for sure even with suffix letters to compare it to. So at the convenience of the experts, of course, please be the judge.

Was thoroughly happy to get it, was a bring back of sorts by a Captain Baird. He managed weapons inventory from the Germans after the war ended. He kept the ones he wanted and this was one. But best to believe the gun vs the story.

All matching with one magazine, the 2nd issue mag, and unsure of the grip status..

Thanks gentlemen, glad to be here officially, and all input welcome and appreciated.

panzertruppe
    Attached Images Attached Images

Forgot one,

One below the barrel with same suffix letter:IMG_20200211_164125_01.jpg

More to follow as I find or take them. And after sorting through sooner more suffix letters, I think it's a 1941 "r"...

panzertruppe

Was going to say "r" letter suffix also, but, looking again, it MIGHT be a "p" letter suffix, slightly struck off center...but it DEFINITELY is one or the other...need a slightly better photo to tell...suggestion...use no "flash" photography, and in natural low light conditions...Congratulations...very nice byf/41 Parabellum pistole, Panzertruppe...Enjoy it...!!!

I have a new addition to my collection to pick up tomorrow after work...another 1937 1st. variation "hump-back" Mauser...can't wait to get her home and disassembled for qualifying inspection, clean & lube...!!!

Edward

Thank you Ed,

Can't wait to see your new baby.... I have been lurking and have not posted the other Lugers I have slowly amassed. Latest before this one is an all matching Arty Luger minus matching mag in g-vg condition.... I plan on posting it for data base too....

I got lucky on these 2... They say things happen in 3s.... Keeping my fingers crossed.... Here's a better picture of the mag base too:

IMG_20200211_164051_01.jpg

The suffix letter sticky for magazines showed the "r"... Lots of GREAT stuff here.... You could never see it ALL!

I may have put to many questions in one post but not familiar with grip panel proofs. And there's no "penciled" serial numbers, or stamped... Just the "5"s, the "M" & "E"b and a "v" next to a circular mark making it look like a cursive "y"...

Thanks for pic tips... Much better at cooking and finding good deals than taking pictures....

panzertruppe

Panzertruppe...just saw your initial magazine base photo on the "Test Forum"...and you received an answer from PrairieDog Pat...and yes, the suffix letter is DEFINITELY 100% an "r" suffix letter...magazine looks great and legit...I personally haven't seen many late era WW2 Parabellums (in the 1941/1942 era) with original authentic matching magazines, so that's great to see...(outside of Luger reference books)...Good for you...!!!

I haven't posted photos yet myself, put was practicing on the "Test Forum" also...I was just going to test out a few photos, then Prairiedog Pat goaded me on to "Keep 'em coming"...so I did...!!! You will see quite a few of my "practice" Luger photos there...and yes, they are all mine...all Mauser WW2 examples...take a gander at them, and tell me what you think...going to take more "in depth photos" in the future and post them...just to let you know, I have a soft spot for excellent to pristine examples of the 1937 1st. variation Mausers...as you will see...

Edward...

If the fine gentlemen here are patient,

And they seem to be, you will succeed with your pics. And the real learning process is try, try, try again! Glad your friend is encouraging you... For my sake too, lol!

Bring it on Ed!

panzertruppe

Hello and welcome to the forum.

You probably will enjoy our forum's FAQ document. It has a complete list of suffix letters as used by Mauser on magazines and frames. Look toward the end. It's free to download, and will answer many of your questions.

I can't tell if your Luger is plated or has a blue finish because of the photograph which looks like you used a flash. The sharp edges would indicate it's original. If it's blued and in original finish, note that sometimes the depth and color of bluing varied at Mauser. I have a 1936 Luger that has bluing that is translucent looking. Try taking some photos in shaded natural sunlight and let us see what the finish looks like.

Luger collectors value pistols most highly when they are as close as possible to the state they were in when leaving the Mauser factory.

https://luger.gunboards.com/showthre...=luger+faq+pdf

I'm seeing a partially struck "p" and possibly a die bounce (part double struck).
    Igitur si vis pacem, para bellum -
    - if you wish for peace, prepare for war.

Danka MrErick,

It is due to flash. These pics were taken in bad light, my office, go figure. I'm almost certain it's the original finish based on what you said and other's input. It has some "freckles" and they were not blue but "freckle" colored on the surface and it is slightly worn on the barrel and a couple edges. Doesmn't mean the "reblue" didn't rust but I'm nominally familiar with "refurbs" from P38s, Colt and S&W 1917s, 1911s, etc. It's a shame it "got freckles" because it has a nice finish aside from these blems. Oh well, I got it at what I thought was a good price considering, $1000. I can't complain with the matching mag.

I'm still trying to find time between family and work to get some better pics on the thread if for no other treason than practice too. I saw an identical "r" strike in the Magazine Suffix section and have decided it's an "r". But I noted a possible dbl strike to on letter below barrel too.

At the moment I'm researching the grips... I may be "over analyzing" here, but it's fun or this forum wouldn't exist.

Thanks gentlemen, again!

panzertruppe

Danke...