Thread: 1940/1941 DATES MILITARY CODES 42 and byf DATA

Jan,
    A few more for your list..

42/1940 sn4720k E/655 E/655 LTP
    42/1940 sn6459c E/655 E/655 LTP KM N/4329
    BYF 41 sn6587v E/655 E/655 LTP
    WaA66

Steve
    Thanks for the information. Table updated.
    Jan
    Jan C Still
    Site Owner - Operator

Jan'
    Here's another for you! 41byf 3497x E655,E655

Dave

This is actually very fascinating, being able to narrow down items such as this.

Ed

gdmoody Guest

I don't want to appear completely stupid, but - what do all of these numbers represent. I have one Luger with a 42 on the chamber and a byf on the toggle, SN# 3543. Can someone tell me what that information tells them, Is the 42 the year of manufacture? I have been told that the byf means Mauser.

yes, in Third Reich Lugers is a chart that helps explain most of this (Jan has this book for sale).

There were two years where they used just the two number, instead of the full four digit.

The 42 (1942) byf (byf equals Mauser), there were approx 113k made that year, , if no suffix, yours was the first 1500+ made that year, as a byf 42.

The other numbers are the eagle 655 (two of them, or whatever is there) on the right side. If you can look really close and give what kind of eagle, what the numbers, or even better, a nice close up picture.

Ed

Jan,
    byf41, SN 2884q, E/655, wooden grips, matching spare mag (+).

Dave and JuergenG
    Thanks for the information. Table updated.
    Jan
    Jan C Still
    Site Owner - Operator

gdmoody Guest

I tried to take close up pictures of the markings but some of them did not were not clear. I will attemp to describe what I see:

Bottom of Barrel - near receiver is the SN 3543 with 8,81 under that. Also near the muzzle, along the bottom of the barrel, something is written (Stampsd) that I cannot make out - maybe importers mark?

Right side of the barrel has a very small Nazi Eagle.

End of frame close to the barrel - SN 3543 and what looks like the letter "C" with a "tail" on it.

Right side of frame near the barrel is what looks like three eagles, the first two have the numbers 135 under tham - the third one it the Nazi Eagle.

The left side of the frame near the barrel is the SN 3543. The left side has the number 43 on several parts. Right under the toggel is P.08, the word Gesichert is right at the safety switch (in yellow or light brown)

The top has the number 42 at the chamber and the number 43 on the extractor and on the toggle along with the letters "byf". Right in front of the trigger in the lower frame is a mark that I cannot make out - looks like 88 or 00 or oo.

The magazine has an alumineum end with the number "1" and the SN 3543

This is all the markings that I can find on the pistol. I will attemp to take better pictures and reduce them to 300K so that maybe someone can give me more information on what I have.

gdmoody Guest

I tried to take close up pictures of the markings but some of them did not were not clear. I will attemp to describe what I see:

Bottom of Barrel - near receiver is the SN 3543 with 8,81 under that. Also near the muzzle, along the bottom of the barrel, something is written (Stampsd) that I cannot make out - maybe importers mark?

Right side of the barrel has a very small Nazi Eagle.

End of frame close to the barrel - SN 3543 and what looks like the letter "C" with a "tail" on it.

Right side of frame near the barrel is what looks like three eagles, the first two have the numbers 135 under tham - the third one it the Nazi Eagle.

The left side of the frame near the barrel is the SN 3543. The left side has the number 43 on several parts. Right under the toggel is P.08, the word Gesichert is right at the safety switch (in yellow or light brown)

The top has the number 42 at the chamber and the number 43 on the extractor and on the toggle along with the letters "byf". Right in front of the trigger in the lower frame is a mark that I cannot make out - looks like 88 or 00 or oo.

The magazine has an alumineum end with the number "1" and the SN 3543

This is all the markings that I can find on the pistol. I will attemp to take better pictures and reduce them to 300K so that maybe someone can give me more information on what I have.

Page 5 of 41 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast