Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Finish on a 42 Code

Default Finish on a 42 Code

All,

I have found a 1939 42 Code for sale in a gun shop. The finish, to me, looks original, but almost too good to be true. My major issue is that I don't have any salt blued Lugers and haven't handled many either, so I'm not sure if I trust my judgement.

The shop doesn't particularly want photos of the gun posted on the forum, so I have to respect that, but if anyone thinks they might be a decent judge of originality of finish based on hastily taken photos inside the shop, I'd be willing to email them. Of course if I end up with the gun, full photos will follow.

Any takers?

-Brandon

If a shop owner has a pistol for sale, and doesn't want photos shared with knowledgable Luger collectors, please forgive my cynicism but I suspect he is trying to peddle a refinished pistol as orginal. A very common practice. I cannot imagine any harm done to anyone by posting photos if you don't disclose the name of the shop.

I respect that you want to keep your word to him. But when I comment here on finish at the request of a member, I do it mainly to join a conversation that I can learn from. You may get a taker on your request but I think your best course would be for you to promise the shop owner you won't name his shop and ask him to reconsider.

Can you at least disclose his asking price and if the parts are matching? For a first Luger I suggest spend no more than about $1,200 or so. If at worst it is matching/nice refinish you'll be OK at that price or below. If it all matching original finish, you'd have a great deal. A big part of hunting for a Luger is ruling out pistols, as most Lugers are over-priced and/or mis-represented. Especially local gun shop pieces. If we know price/matching or not we may be able to rule it out as a first Luger.

Call the seller again. Tell him you won't show the picture of the front of the frame with the full serial number and suffix. That is the only picture which could give anyone pause to post on the web. Otherwise, tell him that the Luger experts think he is trying to hide something. We are a suspicious lot by nature.

We are a suspicious lot by nature.

With good reason. I agree no pictures for evaluation= no sale. JMHO
    03man - Don Voigt
    Luger student and collector
    Looking for DWM mil.side plates- 69 and commercial # 32, Dreyse "K.S.Gendarmerie"

I totally agree with the above posts. I am just about a rank newbie when it comes to Lugers, but I am pretty good at spotting most refinishes. If you look at some photos of the later salt blued Luger's' on this forum, you should be able to get a few clues of what an original finish should look like.

The shop owner may be hesitant due to metadata being embedded in cell phone photos and thus what he views as possible undesirable people knowing his location via GPS tags. In that case, using a real camera that doesn't embed data may help ease any fears the shop owner may have. FYI, I have had a few Canon cameras and I know for a fact that they don't embed metadata in photos.

Hi Brandon,
    If the finish looks mint I would expect the bore to be so also. Have you checked that?
    Norm

I agree with Don, if the seller doesn't want photos shared with knowledgable Luger collectors I would probably pass it.

Sergio

Anything with a FLGR is fluff, if JMB didn't put it on the 1911 you don't need it.
    If you are going to collect, don't be 'drawn' to an example that is not original, nor correct. Instant gratification is more expensive than a good education

Well, whether we get photos or not it is an interesting thread. As Don says we've got reasons to be suspicious. In my own collection I have two pistols represented by auction houses as all matching/original finish where those representations turned out to be untrue. I can't count how many pistols I have viewed at gun shows or local shops that were overpriced/misrepresented. It is a fact of life in collecting these pistols. I'm not complaining, the chase is what makes it fun but any seller who is hesitant on sharing photos is to me a red flag.

This sure is going to be an interesting thread!!! Canít wait to see the photos!!!

At most, I'd offer a high shooter price for something that I could not verify. If it cannot be evaluated by experienced collectors, let the dealer take the risk, not you.
    Igitur si vis pacem, para bellum -
    - if you wish for peace, prepare for war.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast