Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

My sad 1910/1920 DWM

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  RangeRover 
#1 ·
Just picked up the Luger pictured below.

I am relatively new to the type, having only a single example previously, a 1940-dated Mauser (42) example all-matching with a single matching magazine, that my grandfather brought back from Europe at the end of the Second war. I am reluctant to shoot that one, so was on the hunt for an affordable shooter, ideally a Great War-era example. Well, I got one. Very rough, but in my price range. I've been working on her since these photos were taken so she is cleaning up a bit.

While waiting for it to arrive I have been trying to absorb knowledge from the previous threads and expertise shared here, but know I have much to learn. I'm hoping others here will help me pin down what I have. Some pictures below and some data that, based on previous conversations here, may help.

Aside from the barrel, all the bits seem to match in serial. That includes all the small invisible parts inside the pistol. The barrel, though only has a single "3" on the underside in front/on top of the 8.84 marking.

The grip markings have been badly obliterated, what I can make out is, left to right:

S. Sch. [smudged] . [smudged] I 769

Any information welcomed and let me know if there's other information I can share.

See less See more
#3 ·
As Ed mentions, the 1920 mark is a Weimar era property mark. The Weimar police markings are discussed at:

http://oldmilitarymarkings.com/police_unit_marks.html where "Sch." is Schleswig in Prussia.

The barrel was likely arsenal replaced. It looks shorter than the normal 100mm barrel originally installed. Check it to see if it's 95mm (observing the Versailles treaty).

You should do what you can to remove the active rust. Take well oiled 0000 steel wool and oil the gun's metal surface. Gently work the areas with rust, and you should be able to get much of it off without doing finish or other damage.

It's possible to repair the grip chip under the safety. See people like Hugh Clark or G.T. on this forum.

I think it's an interesting Luger, clear evidence that the Germans wasted nothing. It shows the evidence of serving many agencies before it's capture, likely in WW-II.

Marc

#5 ·
Your gun started out as a 1910 DWM, re barreled. Saw action in WWI and then went into the police ranks. I used NEVR-DULL by Eagle One, you can get it at Advanced Auto Parts. It worked quite well on some rust spots on a grip strap with unit markings for me.

#6 ·
I wouldn't call this pistol sad. It bears the evidence of a long and varied career.

As mentioned above, it was manufactured by DWM in 1910 for military issue without a stock lug or holdopen. A holdopen was subsequently added by the Erfurt armory, probably in 1913 (Still, Central Powers Pistols, p 34). Very soon after WWI, it was transferred to the police and received the 1920 government property stamp. It was issued to the Schutzpolitzei of the Prussian administrative district of Schleswig. The front grip strap was initially stamped in accordance with the 1922 instructions for marking Schupo property. The left-most stippled-out character was a Roman numeral, probably I, II or III, designating the command (city) to which it was issued. The next stippled character was the P08 inventory number within that command.

I believe I can see eagle/33 and PTV (or TP)/eagle stamps on the barrel. These, along with the numeral 3 on the bottom of the barrel indicate the barrel was replaced by the police armory of the Polizeischule für Technik und Verkehr (PTV) in Berlin in the late 1920s or early 1930s using a barrel manufactured by Simson in 1923 and purchased by the PTV.

In 1932, the grip strap marking was revised to reflect new instructions issued that year. The two stippled areas were canceled and the I and 769 added. The new marking was therefore S.Sch.I.769., indicating it was in service with the Schupo command for Altona-Wandsbeck, Prussian suburbs of Hamburg (HWIS pp. 137-9).

In about 1934, the Schiwy (sear) and Walther (magazine) safeties were added per Prussian Interior Ministry orders. The notch in the upper left corner of the left grip panel was made to accommodate the Walther safety. In about 1937, the Walther safety was removed.

The format of the first police marking and the fact that the gun was fitted with Schiwy and Walther safeties indicate it was issued to a member of the Revierpolizei (precinct police) and that it almost certainly remained in precinct police service throughout WWII.

#7 ·
Wow. Just wow. Thank you so much for all the information gleaned from the photos and my original post. A rich history indeed. I will do what I can to brighten this pistol up moderately, and will focus on keeping it in good condition. My son is keen to shoot the Luger. As it's a pre-1946 firearm I will actually be able to pass this one on to him, despite it's prohibited status in Canada.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.