Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Totenkopf death head 1916

That's a very interesting question siegersallee.
    Why is no one answering my question?

Why is there a lazy crown/N on the right hand side below the expected crowns and eagle. Am I really missing something?

thanks,
    Richard

Siegersallee, I can't answer your question as to why the lazy crown/N is next to the usual marks, but if you look at page 150 of Imperial Lugers you will find a photo of 1916 DWM also with the lazy crown/N. Also Jan states regarding the Totenkopf lugers"Some bear post World War I C/N proofs and indications of refurbishing, including new barrels."

Chris

Rebuilt for commercial sale requiring civilian proofing.

thanks, Chris and CBrown...I really was interested in knowing why the lazy crown/N (pressure test) stamp was on the right-hand side.
    To me, that seemed suspect.

But to be honest, everything about those "totenkopf" lugers seems suspect.

I think I read that the mark was applied by a Hessian armorer in the 1920's for commercial purposes. But, I am not sure if I read that or just heard that.

thanks again,
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Wood View Post
    One of the chamber markings in Pete's earlier thread was of my DH Luger. I obtained it in 1969 and it very closely resembles the marking published by Fred Datig in the mid-1950s, much before there was any notion of faking. I have used it as my "standard" in comparing the plethora of DH Lugers that have surfaced since then. Here it is for your consideration. I am sure there are other valid variations but it is difficult to sort out the real from the fakes.
    Don't know about that. I saw one that looked almost exactly like you picture sold at the old Charlie Snyder Greenbelt show in 1967. I know it was a fake as I knew the 'artist' who made it. I watched it be sold to someone who was at that time one of the major Luger collectors on the east coast.
    Mike
    "but officer, this car won't go 162 mph"

Mike,
    I would sure like to know the identity of these "artists" that made the DH Lugers. There was a report of one individual in Germany that claimed to have made all of the DH Lugers in the 70s but no name was given and you say you know the individual that made one in 1967, but again no name. Anonymity of these claims sure makes it hard to sort out the veracity. Somebody made fakes, that is for sure but there are also legitimate examples. I would like to out the fakers and identify their products.
    If it is made after 1918...it is a reproduction.

So what the general consensus on this one real or fake

Quote Originally Posted by wileyx View Post
    See Alvin's reply in #3 above. Also review posts on this forum under Totenkopf and deathshead.

Quote Originally Posted by wileyx View Post
    I would boil it down to "yes", probably fake.
    03man - Don Voigt
    Luger student and collector
    Looking for DWM mil.side plates- 69 and commercial # 32, Dreyse "K.S.Gendarmerie"

Hi gents...

To enable a comparison here are some pics from my death head Luger I want to share with you.
    Remarkable is that the original proofs on the right side has in addition the horizontal N with crown and also the toggle and the barrel.

Unfortunatelly the Luger is refurbished, but 100% matching numbers.

I`m convinced that this death head Luger is an original...but a proof I have not.
    I bought this one from a guy years ago who has unfortunatelly refurbished this Luger in the 80's...

Greets from Germany

Idefix
    P1060328.JPGP1060329.JPGP1060340.JPGP1060330.JPGP1060331.JPGP1060332.JPGP1060333.JPGP1060334.JPGP1060335.JPGP1060336.JPGP1060338.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast