Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1917 DWM with Deaths Head

Default 1917 DWM with Deaths Head

My dad (G.I.) brought back a lugar he took from a captured German Officer in WWII. He never used it just stored it away. I received it when he passed a few years ago. He was a lieutenant and saw heavy action in the battle of Metz receiving 2 purple hearts and a bronze star. He also was given a German officers sword by the burgermeister of a town his unit occupied. My brother has that. Anyway, I am not interested in selling it but would appreciate any information about it and its value for insurance purposes. I had a local gunsmith clean and oil it recently and he said it was in excellent condition. I read that there are may fake death heads but doubt that is the case here since my dad received it directly from the officer and did nothing to it over the years. He was not a gun collector and had no interest in selling it or any reason to try to fake its value. I also have the holster but did not photograph it. DSCN0499.jpgDSCN0501.jpgDSCN0502.jpgDSCN0503.jpgDSCN0504.jpgDSCN0505.jpgDSCN0506.jpgDSCN0507.jpgDSCN0509.jpgDSCN0510.jpgDSCN0511.jpgThanks.

Welcome to the forum

I can tell you what I see - It is a DWM, made in 1917, and has been refinished (whether from later or just post war) as this is obvious by the smoothness of the part by the ears, the rear toggle pin - pin that holds the toggle pin in, is not in the white. The acceptance markings on the right are a bit light - then the crown N on the right tells me it went back into sale (??) by someone, perhaps for the officer to buy? I would also say that the crown N shows a retail resell - but just my thoughts on the matter.
    The crown N on the right is odd for me to see on the toggle
    DSCN0505.jpg

The magazine is post 1926 era - as originally they would be a wood base and this one is aluminum.

The deatheshead marking is very controversial, and from memory the real ones are seen on 1917?

I had one very much like it once, but who knows?
    Edward Tinker
    Co-Author of Police Lugers
    Co-Author of Simson Lugers
    Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I -- Vol II and Vol III - a collection of stories on guns & equipment brought back by GI's.

Thanks for the information. I have another magazine that is missing the base. I used to play with this gun as a kid and vaguely remember there used to be a wood base on it. I was looking at it again after I started reading this forum and noticed some sort of insignia or marking (along with the serial number) on the bottom of the gun barrel. I will try to photograph and post it. Does the fact it was refinished diminish its value? I doubt my dad did it because he was a bit on the tight side and seemingly took no interest in the gun while living. Thanks

It's a post WWI altered artillery.
    " 'To everything there is a season...a time for war and a time for peace'. and this is the time for war". Reverend Peter Muhlenberg, January 21, 1776, Woodstock, Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by keoki7 View Post
    It's a post WWI altered artillery.
    Exactly a P08 ari DWM dated 1917, rebuilt in the Weimar Republic and probably provided para military groups, for me, it is quite correct!

A good and original skull!

JoŽl

Default 1917 DWM with Deaths Head

Quote Originally Posted by Kri 1942 View Post
    Exactly a P08 ari DWM dated 1917, rebuilt in the Weimar Republic and probably provided para military groups, for me, it is quite correct!

A good and original skull!

JoŽl
    DSCN0512.jpgDSCN0513.jpgDSCN0515.jpgDSCN0516.jpgDSCN0517.jpgDSCN0518.jpgThanks all for the information, what does it mean that the toggle switch is "not in the white?" I took a photo of the holster and the bottom of the barrel. Perhaps the stamped marking on the bottom can be made out. It is very small and hard to see just looking at it. Roger

If the story is 100% correct this might be a legit Death Head Luger.
    Dow Cross

Do you think a museum would be interested in it? I live in Kansas City near the WWI Museum. I wish my dad had written down his war experiences but I think he found it too painful to relive. Thanks.

The last thing in the world would I do is donate anything to a museum.
    Dow Cross

Why? Just curious.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast