Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

Still, Volume V, Weimar Lugers

6K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  shawn martin 
#1 ·
Volume V. Weimar and Early Nazi Lugers and their accesories 1993

This was my first purchase in the Pistols of Germany and Her Allies in Two World Wars series. It is also the one I browse most often. One of these days I will have to get the author to autograph it!

Weimar Lugers is the only comprehensive work I know of covering the rearming of Germany during this chaotic period. The Weimar era needs to be viewed in perspective and Jan Still provides a nice succinct summary in the opening of this volume from G.C. Stevenson. Germany surrendered in November 1918 but the army had never truly been defeated. Europe held Germany responsible for the War and the terrible loses. The “peace” imposed on Germany was brutal. Germany was forced to pay indemnities, restricted to a 100,000 man army (in late 1918 Germany was losing 200,000 men a month in the Kaiserschlacht storm troop assaults) and various weapons restrictions were imposed. From 1919 to 1923 there were numerous attempts by communists to establish local governments or overthrow the republic. The Reichswehr, sometimes with assistance of the Freikorps and the Prussian security police fought of all of these attempts and also an attempted succession by Bavaria, Bolshevik uprisings in Latvia and Estonia, and a coup in Prussia supported by Lenin. The French tried to occupy the Ruhr in 1923. Wide spread passive resistance supported by the police and Friecorps resulted in no profit for the French and an eventual withdrawal.

This 312 page volume in 8 ½ by 11 format covers the P08 in arming of the Reichswehr, the Reichsmarine, and the various police forces. The text explains the 1920 property marking and the now popular classification fo Weimar 5 digit DWM, Weimar alphabet DWM, and the 1929 “DWM” BKIW-Mauser transitional Lugers. Also covered are the reworks of Imperial army issues and reworked Imperial equipment for army and police issue. There is a careful presentation of Weimar and early Nazi proof and acceptance markings, and a brief discussion of the presence of multiple marks indicating service through two wars. There are approximately 80 pistols illustrated in black and white. The volume is focused on P08s and their accoutrements. There is a 7 page frontispiece in color that is very nice and 4 black and white photographs on pages 9 and 10 are a chilling illustration of the state of post peace Germany and the road to WWII.

The Weimar era is fascinating; Germany reached high points in art and literature in spite of political extremism, invasions, and political chaos, much of it incited by foreign powers. I believe that Weimar P08s are appreciating in value and a careful study of Volume V can lead to acquiring interesting pieces that are still at reasonable prices. However, without guidance, such as available in this book, a put together parts pistol could readily be pushed off as a “Weimar rework.” A must have volume for the Luger collector.

Purchasing information, click below:
http://www.gunboards.com/luger/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2535

See less See more
#2 ·
quote:The Weimar era is fascinating; Germany reached high points in art and literature in spite of political extremism, invasions, and political chaos, much of it incited by foreign powers. I believe that Weimar P08s are appreciating in value and a careful study of Volume V can lead to acquiring interesting pieces that are still at reasonable prices. However, without guidance, such as available in this book, a put together parts pistol could readily be pushed off as a “Weimar rework.” A must have volume for the Luger collector.
Heinz, I agree with you, knowledge is power, and you better study ahead of time for this era!

Very good book reviews Heinz, I am glad you took the time to write them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.