Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

Fake 1925 Simson

7K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  prairiedogpat 
#1 ·
I bought this as a fake 1925 Simson, paid high shooter price, but except for the fake date, the rest of the parts are likely Simson, so worth the money.

Here is a chart of Simson 1925 dates. IMO these are all good, at least one was 'cleaned up' but they are real 1925's.

Then here is the fake one, what is interesting is the lighting. From a distance, I think it looks pretty good, kind of like what we used to call a 25 foot paint job, looked really nice till you got closer.

First picture, except for the 5 being a bit off, it looks good to me.

Under a loup it has tell-tail signs and with a flash, (the flash surprised me how much it made the etching show up), it shows the pantagraph or etching that was done.

See less See more
#2 ·
Ed,
thanks for posting.
25 ft paint job, I remember those - $29.95 at Earl Scheib!

The "white" around the numbers just does not blend into the overall patina either.

#3 ·
I remember those - $29.95 at Earl Scheib!

Good ol' Earl, he did my 1950 MG TD for $29.95 when I was in high school.

#7 ·
perhaps etched? - sorry if pantagraphed threw the discussion off

1. the latest 1925 dated is before sn 700 (I own 701 and 777, neither is dated)
2. The 5 is misshapen in my opinion
3. a stamp looks a lot different up close, let me see if I have one around
4. See chart above and compare, but some quick shots of a 1925 and 1926
what I consider fake and what I consider real

Attachments

#9 ·
This other fake "1925" showed up with one of our members (Harrya) in the past...won at Heritage auction but previously sold by PIA to another. Harrya was able to return it to the H-A folks.

The photos off the PIA site are emptied-out but their sales ad is still there.

http://www.phoenixinvestmentarms.com/History Book/1501Simson25.htm

SN-69.

Photo-croppings on that gun's "1925" chamber marking from the H-A event.

#13 ·
Well of course it depends; what condition/matching/magazine?

An ugly mismatched re-blued one maybe $2,500; a really nice like new one, at auction, ?- but high.
For one like the above fake 1925- maybe $1100.

I said I was not going to "do" pricing any more, and I'm not- but the above are known prices as I paid them for my two examples!

#14 ·
yeah, pretty much, here is my guide - collector to collector, auction add 20% - retail perhaps 40% - a 1925 with possible issues - depends on what part and how much you want to pay.

One in nice shape - no issues - not matching magazine - $3000
same but matching magazine - $3500-$3800

as they go up above 95% - start adding thousands

--

1926 - start with +$2000 for all of the above

#18 ·
#16 ·
Excellent with 95% plus of the original blue finish
AND, did it sell for that amount?

And did some idiots get all excited about it?

I have owned and sold six 1925 Simsons - and the market is thin

If you want to spend $14,000 plus shipping, I will sell you a 1925 Simson

#19 ·
The price for the 1925 Simson wasn't the only price that was gotten wrong in this thread. Earl Scheib's add
stated, "I will paint any car any color for just $17.95." It ran for a year or two at that price, then went to $19.95.
It then ran for several years at that price before going to $29.95.
Youngsters,
Pat

#21 ·
You know, Don, that's what I like most about you. You always have to have the last word, but you always let the other fellow have his say.:)
Pat

#22 ·
Thanks Pat.
We used to joke about the Earl Schieb paint jobs; you know everthing was an "add on".
Like if you wanted the chrome to stay chrome it cost extra; windows masked off? yep, extra; at the lowest price point they didn't even sand the old paint and if you wanted the windows rolled up to protect the upholstery - another "extra".:cool:

ES has nothing to do with the 1925 Simson fake, so to bring us back on topic - kind of- I'll ask two questions and you can have the last word!:eek:

1-Would you (or anyone else who wants to comment) have the 1925 "removed" and the piece re-finished to bring it back to it's "original condition"?

2- Would you pay $500 to have this done?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.